Saturday, July 29, 2023

Donaire out to set another boxing record against Santiago

Former four-division champion Nonito Donaire Jr. will attempt to set another record when he steps into the ring against Alexandro Santiago of Mexico on Sunday (Manila time).

At 40, he will try to defy “Father Time” by gunning for the WBC bantamweight crown. He wants to become the oldest bantamweight champion in the world.

It has been more than a year since Donaire last fought, and there have been talks about his retirement, especially after his brutal defeat to Japanese superstar Naoya Inoue in June 2022.

But the “Filipino Flash” insists that he is not yet done.

“I enjoy what I do, and it’s given me a lot of purpose to get up in the morning to be something that we all need as human beings as a purpose, and to me, it gives me a lot of patience and inspiration to keep going,” said Donaire in a report by ABS-CBN News.

Donaire weighed in at 117.25 pounds on the eve of the bout. Santiago made weight as well, at 117.5.

They will face off on the undercard of the title unification fight between Errol Spence Jr. and Terrence Crawford at the T-Mobile Arena in Nevada.

“This has been a blessing for me, an opportunity this big with a big fight with bigger crowds. I think this is what it made for, you know, for some reasons I’m just more energized,” said Donaire.

He also claimed to be getting even deadlier at 40.

“I feel I’m getting stronger. You know, I think because I know my body more than when I was younger. You know, it was just more sheer energy. Now it’s knowledge, understanding, and alignment. So I think that I will be much stronger this time around. Just be able to utilize all the experience,” he said.

See Related Story:

Nonito Donaire Jr. walang dapat ikahiya

The post Donaire out to set another boxing record against Santiago first appeared on FASTBREAK.com.ph.


0 comments: