Thursday, September 21, 2023

Didal stays optimistic despite layoff ahead of Asian Games campaign

Margielyn Didal is looking to defend her skateboarding title when she kicks off her campaign at the 19th Asian Games.

But the 24-year-old Cebuana admitted it will be a challenge as she underwent a lengthy layoff after getting sidelined by a fractured ankle over a year ago.

“I was forced to stop 11 months ago because of my injury. As of now, I’m focused on my recovery to regain my confidence and get comfy with my board,’’ said Didal, who arrived in Guangzhou Wednesday and stayed at the Athletes Village.

Didal went through surgery on her fractured left ankle, which she sustained during the Red Bull Stake Levels tournament last year in Brazil.

“We trained in Thailand before coming here. My goal is to make it to the finals. From there, I’ll try to get to the podium,’’ she said.

Didal was appointed as one of the country’s flagbearers, along with pole vaulter EJ Obiena, when the games open on Saturday at the Hangzhou Olympic Sports Center Stadium.

Didal was among the four gold medalists in the 2018 edition of the Games. Other gold medalists in the Asian Games in Indonesia include Yuka Saso of golf and Hidilyn Diaz of weightlifting.

Saso also spearheaded the women’s team gold with Bianca Pagdanganan and Lois Kaye Go.

The post Didal stays optimistic despite layoff ahead of Asian Games campaign first appeared on FASTBREAK.com.ph.


0 comments: