Alexandra Eala said patience and resilience were the keys to overcoming a difficult challenge against Canada’s Leylah Fernandez as the Filipina advanced to the quarterfinals of the Mubadala DC Open in Washington D.C.
Following her straight-sets victory over dethroned champion Fernandez, Eala admitted that windy conditions made the match more complicated, but stressed that she focused on factors within her control.
“It was definitely a factor, but ultimately something I couldn’t control. I think I had definitely some tough moments in that match, and credits to Leylah. She put me in some really tough positions, so I think I’m super proud of how I fought and how I stayed in there,” Eala said in a post-game interview.
Eala also acknowledged that her level dipped during the second set as Fernandez stepped up her attacks, forcing the Filipina to dig deep to regain control of the match.
“Yeah, I know that she was playing a little better, and maybe I had my level dropped a little bit. I think those are very tricky moments when you know your level’s dropped and you want to do better, but things just for one reason or another aren’t coming out. I think patience was key there, and just trying to work it out and have a strong mentality in terms of trying to find solutions,” she said.
The 21-year-old also highlighted the importance of her support system, saying her close relationship with her coach and the rest of her team has helped her stay composed during matches.
Although she has received overwhelming support from Filipino fans in Washington, Eala said she has had little time to explore the city because of her tournament schedule.
“You know, I would have loved to see more of the city, but the matches are very demanding. The training is demanding, and this is the first priority. I enjoy so much here, and I enjoy so much on Tour, but I’m still working. So maybe on the free time, if you guys have any suggestions, let me know,” she said.
Eala’s victory over Fernandez secured her a spot in the DC Open quarterfinals, where she will battle the winner between Elina Svitolina of Ukraine and Polina Kudermetova of Russia. (Adrian Co)
The post Never say die ang peg! Alex Eala credits patience, mental toughness in upset victory over Leylah Fernandez first appeared on Fastbreak.
0 comments: