LIONEL Messi has officially ended his international career with Argentina, bringing the curtain down on one of the most decorated chapters in the history of the national team.
The 39-year-old superstar confirmed his decision Monday through a social media post, saying he had reached the point where he could no longer give what was required to represent his country.
Messi said the decision was painful but acknowledged that it was time to step away and allow a new generation of players to take his place.
“I am retiring from the Argentina national team,” Messi wrote. “It was a decision that hurt –and still hurts deep down — but I understand that the time has come.”
The Argentina captain also expressed his gratitude to his teammates, coaches, officials, family and supporters who accompanied him throughout his two-decade international career.
“I’ve given everything I had; I have nothing left to give, and besides, there are some great young players coming up who deserve to be here,” he said.
Messi leaves the national team as its most capped player and all-time leading scorer, with 124 goals in 203 appearances. He is also the highest-scoring player in South American international football.
His greatest achievement came in 2022 when he captained Argentina to the FIFA World Cup title in Qatar, ending the country’s 36-year wait for the sport’s biggest prize.
That triumph completed a remarkable turnaround for Messi and Argentina. The team had previously endured a 28-year trophy drought before Messi helped deliver the 2021 Copa America crown. Argentina then retained the continental title in 2024.
Messi had already experienced heartbreak on the international stage before his run of success. He led Argentina to three consecutive major finals without winning a title and briefly announced his retirement from international football in 2016.
He later reversed that decision and eventually became a World Cup champion.
In his retirement message, Messi reflected on his journey with the national team and said he would now support Argentina from outside the field.
“Now I’ll be just one of you, cheering and supporting from the outside,” he wrote.
Messi also revealed that he had written the statement on July 21, two days after the most recent final. He said the death of his father, Jorge Messi, on August 8 further strengthened his resolve to retire.
“I am even more convinced than before,” Messi added.
After 20 years, multiple major trophies and countless memorable moments, Messi’s Argentina career now comes to an end with the country’s most coveted honor secured and his status as one of its greatest football heroes firmly established. (Adrian Co)
The post Messi announces retirement from Argentina national team first appeared on Fastbreak.
0 comments: