A years-old speech by United States President Donald Trump has resurfaced and gone viral once again, thrusting NBA superstar LeBron James into the center of the growing debate over transgender participation in women’s sports.
The clip regained traction this week as the WNBA continues to face intense public scrutiny following comments made by Indiana Fever guard Sophie Cunningham, who has repeatedly said biological males should not compete in women’s sports.
Trump originally made the remarks during a speech at the America First Policy Institute in July 2022 while criticizing transgender participation in women’s athletics.
Using LeBron James as an example, Trump joked that he could instantly build an unbeatable women’s basketball team.
“I’d be the greatest women’s basketball coach in history. Because I don’t like LeBron James. I like Michael Jordan much better. But I’d go up to LeBron James… I’d say, ‘LeBron, did you ever have any desire to be a woman? Because what I’d love you to do is star on my team that I’m building up. I’ll have the greatest team in history. They’ll never lose. Nobody will come within 70 points of this team,'” Trump said.
The comments have resurfaced at a time when the WNBA is facing one of the biggest cultural debates in its history.
Cunningham ignited controversy after saying women and girls should not have to compete against biological males, comments that have divided fans, players, media personalities and advocacy groups.
Since then, women’s sports advocates have organized rallies outside Indiana Fever games to show support for Cunningham, while counter-protests have also emerged from activists supporting transgender inclusion in sports.
Despite the criticism directed at her, Cunningham has remained unwavering.
“I said what I said. I think it’s kind of common sense,” Cunningham said.
“I think it’s really important to protect children and that’s little girls who are also involved in that category. So, I stand on what I said and I’ll always believe that.”
Her remarks have sparked fierce debate across the sports world, with some commentators praising her for speaking out on behalf of female athletes while others accused her of excluding transgender women from sports.
As the discussion intensified, Trump’s old speech found a new audience online, with supporters sharing the clip as part of the broader conversation surrounding fairness in women’s athletics.
Although the remarks were delivered more than four years ago, they have once again become a lightning rod on social media, adding another high-profile political voice to one of the most polarizing issues in sports.
The renewed attention comes just as the WNBA prepares for another Indiana Fever home game, where Cunningham is once again expected to be at the center of both the on-court action and the off-court debate.
While opinions remain sharply divided, the conversation surrounding transgender participation in women’s sports and the balance between inclusion and competitive fairness continues to dominate headlines, with Trump’s resurfaced LeBron James comments becoming the latest flashpoint in an already heated national discussion. (Jesus Nathaniel Valdez)
The post Trump’s “LeBron to WNBA” remarks resurface amid trans athletes issue first appeared on Fastbreak.
0 comments: