Giannis Antetokounmpo is preparing for a new chapter with the Miami Heat, but his first adjustment to South Florida life has come from an opponent he never encountered during his years in Milwaukee – iguanas.
The two-time NBA MVP recently shared a video showing the large reptiles appearing around his new home, including near his swimming pool. The unexpected encounters quickly became a talking point as Antetokounmpo settles into Miami.
“If the iguanas keep on coming, I’ll probably move, maybe get an apartment. No pools, no grass, none of that stuff,” Antetokounmpo said.
“When I came here in July somebody told me they were kind of cute. They’re not cute. They’re not cute. It’s scary. But I’ll get used to it, hopefully. We’ll see.”
The iguanas, however, are hardly the biggest adjustment facing Antetokounmpo.
Miami officially began its new era Tuesday as training camp opened in Boca Raton, Florida, with Antetokounmpo at the center of a major offseason overhaul.
The Heat acquired Antetokounmpo during the offseason and also brought in Klay Thompson, Bobby Portis and Tim Hardaway Jr. to join a roster featuring Bam Adebayo, Andrew Wiggins, Pelle Larsson and Davion Mitchell.
For Antetokounmpo, the move means adapting to a new coaching system, teammates and defensive responsibilities after spending his entire NBA career with the Milwaukee Bucks.
“This is all new for me,” Antetokounmpo said Monday during his first Heat media day.
“I’m trying to learn defense. I’m learning offenses. I am trying to fit in the locker room with new faces. I’m trying to be able to play with players that I’ve never played before. It’s all new for me. It’s exciting.”
Antetokounmpo said he intends to approach the transition through hard work, regardless of the outcome.
“I know that I’m going to put in the work. Succeed or fail, I’m going to fail by working, or succeed by working. And the goal is to win a championship. That’s the goal.”
Antetokounmpo enters his Miami tenure with 21,531 points, 8,882 rebounds and 4,484 assists over his NBA career. Those totals rank fifth in points and rebounds and 13th in assists among players during the period since he entered the league in 2013.
“I really do believe that if not the best, I’m one of the best players in the world,” he said. “I know when I’m at my best, when I’m locked in, when my body is right, I really do believe that I can dominate the game and I can impact the game in both ways, offensively and defensively. I think I’ve shown it over the years.”
For now, Antetokounmpo has a new team, a new city and plenty of new teammates to learn — along with an unexpected group of backyard visitors. (Adrian Co)
The post Giannis Antetokounmpo begins Miami Heat chapter with iguanas as unexpected challenge first appeared on Fastbreak.
0 comments: