Alexandra Eala could not hide her frustration during her Asian Games semifinal defeat to China’s Xiyu Wang on Thursday in Nagoya, Japan.
According to GMA News’ JP Soriano, the Filipina tennis star even turned to her father at one point of the match and asked, “Dad, what am I doing wrong?”
The moment came as Eala struggled to regain control after a strong start against Wang at the Higashiyama Tennis Center.
Eala opened the match in commanding fashion, racing to a 5-0 advantage and appearing poised to take charge of the contest. Wang, however, gradually settled into the match and turned the momentum around.
The Chinese player eventually completed the comeback, ending Eala’s bid for a place in the gold medal match.
The defeat left Eala with the bronze medal, which she is scheduled to receive during Friday’s awarding ceremony.
The setback was particularly disappointing for Eala, who entered the competition as one of the leading contenders for the women’s singles title.
Still, the Filipina star has another podium finish to show for her Asian Games campaign and continued to receive strong support from Filipino fans despite the semifinal setback.
Eala later acknowledged that her inconsistency played a major role in the loss.
“I think [Wang] was more consistent,” Eala said. “I think I had a couple ups and downs during the match. It’s something I have to talk with my team about.”
The bronze adds to Eala’s Asian Games medal collection after she also reached the podium in the previous edition in Hangzhou.
The post “Dad, what am I doing wrong?” Alex Eala’s frustration evident during semifinals loss first appeared on Fastbreak.
0 comments: