Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Duterte on Cyber Troll Defenders: 'I DON’T NEED IT!'

Photo credit to owner

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte stressed he does not need online defenders and does not care if his approval ratings go down after an Oxford University study suggested that around P10million was spent for trolls to peddle his messages and harass his critics.

According to the study, about 400 to 500 pro-Duterte cyber troops were hired to harass those who
disagree with them and to post messages supportive of the government.

Fake accounts were supposedly used in the Philippines to spread propaganda and false news and to
create “an artificial sense of popularity, momentum or relevance.” Duterte’s party Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban), a social media manager, volunteer groups and paid citizens form part of his online army, the study said.

“We all know, that fake accounts spreads like wildfire In the internet right now, Duterte cannot
control these people who were sharing fake news about him online.”

PDP-Laban, through its information officer Ronwald Munsayac, has denied hiring or using online trolls. Asked to react to the study in a press briefing last Monday, Duterte said: “Sa election siguro… And they were all during the campaign. Pero ngayon, hindi ko naman kailangan."

“Even the President has admitted nor denied the issue about the online troll propaganda he
had, but this was only during the election period last 2016”

“You know, I do not need to defend myself from attacks. I’ve stated my piece during my inauguration
and during the campaign,” he added.

Duterte said he does not need to enhance his popularity because he is no longer eligible for a reelection.

“I really don’t care if my ratings go up or down. That is not of significance to me. I cannot run anymore. I will just do what is best for my country. And I do not hunger for ratings. I do not even look at it. And I do not comment on it,” he added.

Whether the trolls are true or not, the President doesn’t care about it, if the oxford prove that it
is true, let check the figures correctly before we have our conclusion and judgments towards our
President.

Comment your thoughts, hit Like and Share the article. Thank you!




Source: PhilStar




0 comments: