Monday, September 4, 2023

Paolo Banchero explains decision to choose Team USA over Italy

Italian-American forward Paolo Banchero shared his reasons for choosing to represent the United States instead of Italy in the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

According to the Orlando Magic player, his mother’s previous experience as a Team USA basketball player and a conversation he had with Mike Krzyzewski played a role in his decision.

“That USA team photo (of my mom) was hung up in the basement, and my room was in the basement. I saw that every single day. That was literally one of my biggest dreams as a kid, to play for the USA,” Banchero told Associated Press’ Tim Reynolds.

Banchero added that former Team USA head coach Krzyzewski also convinced him to represent the United States instead of Italy.

“All of those factors kind of played into the decision,” Banchero said. “They were in my mind when I really sat down to think about this.”

The former NBA top-overall pick admitted that he was close to playing for Italy when he was still 17 years old, but the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic has hampered it.

“I was 17 when they asked, and that was a time in my life where I felt like I couldn’t pass up on that opportunity because my dad’s side of the family is Italian,” Banchero said.

“And I didn’t know much about my Italian heritage. So, I felt like that was the perfect way to get to know more and become closer to my Italian heritage, which I have since then,” he added.

“But COVID kind of took that opportunity for me to play away, and that makes me think all the time about how different my life would have been if COVID never happened,” he shared.

Tonight, Banchero and the USA team will face Italy in the knockout quarterfinals round of the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.

See related stories:

Paolo Banchero picks USA over Italy for FIBA World Cup

US or Italy? Paolo Banchero still undecided on what country to represent in World Cup

Italy pessimistic about Paolo Banchero’s participation in 2023 FIBA World Cup

The post Paolo Banchero explains decision to choose Team USA over Italy first appeared on FASTBREAK.com.ph.


0 comments: