Wednesday, October 18, 2023

New Beerman Jeron Teng wants to win titles like dad Alvin

Jeron Teng said his decision to join San Miguel Beer has a lot to do with his father, retired PBA star Alvin “Robocop” Teng.

The elder Teng won nine PBA championships, including a grand slam, while playing for San Miguel in the 1980s.

“San Miguel has really been my dream team,” said the 29-year-old shooting guard in an interview on the CNN Sports Desk. “First of all, my dad played there; he won multiple championships.”

The younger Teng joined the PBA in 2017 as part of the Alaska Aces. He stayed on even after the franchise was sold to Converge but became a free agent last September.

Jeron admitted that he could have joined other Filipinos playing overseas, either in Japan or Korea, but he decided to stay in the Philippines to stay with his family. Last Sunday, he married his longtime girlfriend, Jeanine Tsoi.

“If I’m not married yet, I would have given it a thought,” said Jeron when asked about playing overseas. “But now that I’m married, that’s not an option. I want to be with my family, with my wife. I’m really blessed to be where I am now.”

Jeron added that he dreams of winning a PBA championship.

“I haven’t won a championship in the PBA, so that’s my ultimate goal. The team is really strong, and I think we have a good chance of winning (a title),” he said.

The post New Beerman Jeron Teng wants to win titles like dad Alvin first appeared on Fastbreak.


0 comments: