Sunday, July 21, 2024

Fil-Am Derrick Fenner Jr. not closing door on playing in PBA

Filipino-American guard Derrick Fenner Jr. is not closing the door on the possibility of playing in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) in the future.

According to Fenner, now that his stint with the Strong Group Athletics-Pilipinas in the 43rd William Jones Cup is done, he will focus on staying in shape for a potential PBA Rookie Draft participation next year.

“I just want to have the opportunity to represent the Philippines the best way I can, and with the possibility of playing in the PBA, I can only imagine what I can bring in the future,” Fenner said in an interview with The Snow Bomb Squad podcast.

“I do not feel pressured, but more of excitement. It is very motivating to work hard in the offseason, so when I get the opportunity to play in front of all Filipino fans, they can see what they came for, they feel the best of me, and I still have a lot to give,” he added.

The 30-year-old Fenner is thankful to the SGA-Pilipinas for giving him the opportunity to represent the country of his grandparents in an international tournament like the Jones Cup.

“It is a blessing for me to be participating in the William Jones Cup with this squad of Filipino players,” Fenner said. “The fact that Filipino people are noticing me now is a real blessing.”

“I grew up in a Filipino household in the States, and it’s like a full-circle moment for me since I wanted to represent the Philippines since I was younger, and I am glad to have that opportunity,” he added.

The 6-foot-6 Fenner, a standout of NCAA Division 1 school Nevada Wolf Pack, has previously played as reinforcement in Hungary, Greece, Finland, Bosnia, Serbia, Portugal, Poland, and Belgium.

Fenner contributed 15 markers, seven rebounds, and four steals during the SGA-Pilipinas’ title-clinching 83-79 overtime victory against Chinese Taipei-A on Sunday night at the Xinzhuang Gymnasium in New Taipei City, Taiwan.

The post Fil-Am Derrick Fenner Jr. not closing door on playing in PBA first appeared on Fastbreak.


0 comments: