Friday, September 27, 2024

Kai Sotto, Dwight Ramos question PBA’s four-point shot

Japan B.League Asian quota players Kai Sotto and Dwight Ramos criticized the PBA’s introduction of the four-point shot for this Governors’ Cup.

Sotto, who will play for the Koshigaya Alphas, suggested that instead of implementing a four-point shot, the PBA should simply move the three-point line further back.

“No. I don’t think it’s just right,” Sotto was quoted as saying in a report from DWAR Abante Radyo’s SPORTSNOW program.

“If I were the commissioner, I wouldn’t have a four-point line. I would just remove the three-point line and make the three-point line even farther; like the NBA, they got a farther three-point line, so the spacing is better, and of course bigger. But no, I would not add the four-point line,” Sotto said.

Ramos, for his part, said that, instead of having a four-point shot, the PBA teams should just improve on their zone defenses.

“I saw a couple of games, like the four-point shot was exciting, of course, because you’ll see somebody make a shot from so far,” said Ramos, who recently renewed his contract with the Levanga Hokkaido.

“I know they put it in trying to remove teams from playing zone, but, I mean, you don’t need to do that,” he added. “If you want to break a zone, you just get a better zone offense. So I don’t really see the need for a four-point line.”

Gilas Pilipinas center AJ Edu, who is now with the Nagasaki Velca, said that he prefers to see how the PBA’s four-point shot will pan out before giving his take on it.

“I think I appreciate the PBA for trying to do something new, trying to be innovative, and all I can say is I respect that they’re trying something new,” Edu said.

The PBA became the first professional basketball league to introduce a four-point shot, aiming to enhance fan engagement.

The concept was first tested during the 2023 PBA All-Star Weekend in Passi City, Iloilo, and featured again at this year’s event in Bacolod City.

The post Kai Sotto, Dwight Ramos question PBA’s four-point shot first appeared on Fastbreak.


0 comments: